Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Devils sign goaltending prospect Maxime Clermont

According to Jérôme Bérubé from hockeydraftvideo.com, the New Jersey Devils have signed goaltending prospect Maxime Clermont to an entry-level contract. From Bérubé's Twitter account:

Jay_hdv Jérôme Bérubé

@CalDevil3219 well here some news for ya. Maxime Clermont sign his ECL deal with NJ.

Other than the resulting chatter on Twitter and Devils message boards, there have been no other reports of the signing (UPDATE: signing confirmed), but Clermont himself did express his readiness to turn pro in a July 7 interview with NHL.com (via foxnews.com):

"I want to play in the NHL; that's why I'm here and that's why I wake up every day," Clermont told NHL.com. "It's the job I want to have, but I have to go step by step. Now I feel I'm ready to turn pro. I've played four years of junior and I think it's enough for me. I have to show them what I can do."

If the Devils have indeed signed Clermont the question becomes where he ends up playing in 2011-12. Goaltender Jeff Frazee is expected to play in Albany next season, as is former Union College gatekeeper Keith Kinkaid. 

The Devils no longer have an East Coast Hockey League affiliate, but can loan players under contract to any ECHL team that will take them, which may be the best/only option for Clermont in 2011-12 if he really has turned pro with New Jersey. 

Clermont was selected by the Devils in the 6th round, 174th overall in the 2010 NHL entry draft. He's played the last four seasons with the Gatineau Olympiques of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. 

UPDATE: Tom Gulitti has confirmed that Clermont has signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Devils, noting that the goaltender would be eligible to return to the QMJHL for another season or play in the minors in 2011-12.

Note: Don Ferlazzo is not an employee of the Albany Devils, nor is this blog sponsored or influenced by the organization in any way. 

Follow this blog on Twitter @HellOnSkates.

No comments:

Post a Comment